Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Poll

Discriminating based on weight has become common.  Is it justified...?

It's never ok!
0 (0%)
Sometimes, it can be.
5 (62.5%)
I don't have an opinion.
0 (0%)
I think it's mostly wrong.
2 (25%)
It's never ok!
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: weight discrimination  (Read 3050 times)

Offline MrChris

• Hunter
  • Stupid is as stupid does... -Forest Gump-
    • View Profile
weight discrimination
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »
"There’s no denying that Americans are getting heavier and heavier. Statistics from the Centers for Disease Control show that, in 1996, no state had a prevalence of obesity equal to or great than 20%.  Just 10 years later, only four states had a prevalence of obesity under 20%, while two states had a prevalence equal to or greater than 30%.  Today, 34% of adults in the U.S. are considered obese, defined as having a body mass index (BMI) of 30 or higher.
What about employers that wish to avoid discriminating against obese employees and job applicants, both legally and ethically, but are legitimately concerned about the rising costs associated with obesity in the workplace?  According to a new report from The Conference Board, obese employees are costing U.S. employers approximately $45 billion each year in medical expenses and lost productivity."

http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/19486/weight-discrimination-in-the-workplace-realities-and-legalities