Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Poll

Did humans evolve from apes, or did an intelligent entity create us?

We evolved from apes.
44 (66.7%)
A higher being created us.
20 (30.3%)
This is blasphemy!
2 (3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Creationism Vs Evolution  (Read 83941 times)

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
Re: Creationism Vs Evolution
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2010, 10:13:44 AM »
Our great Nation was founded on this faith.

...and on the genocide of its native inhabitants, in the name of the "Lord" of the European invaders.  In truth, as has been the case most often thoughout religious history, religion was merely a convenient excuse and vehicle of propaganda, used for the sake of securing more wealth and power for those already wealthy and powerful.

And the beat goes on, deedeedum, deedeedum...
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Doug

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2010, 11:24:34 AM »
I was tempted to ask what particular event or person offended someones sensibility when talking about things done wrongly in the name of religion.  It is necessary to quantify the specific offense in order to compare it to other wrongs.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot are men guided by a different philosophical ideas in contrast to Christianity.   Yet, the number of people killed under their regimes dwarfs anything I am aware of in terms of lost life under so called religious killings.  Anybody disagree?

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
I was tempted to ask what particular event or person offended someones sensibility when talking about things done wrongly in the name of religion.  It is necessary to quantify the specific offense in order to compare it to other wrongs.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot are men guided by a different philosophical ideas in contrast to Christianity.   Yet, the number of people killed under their regimes dwarfs anything I am aware of in terms of lost life under so called religious killings.  Anybody disagree?

From what I see, people take offense to the ideals of those men.

I believe religion is an ideal... People are killed over said ideals/religions... by definition they are different yet also very similar.. Only difference between the two is that one involves a supernatural being and the other does not. Yet the concept is the same. You can have faith in your ideals just as you can have faith in your religion... so perhaps the whole argument is being misguided by the wrong word?

People will be killed over just about anything... A man was killed outside of my apartment complex over $16, a Man killed his entire family in fear that they would live in a dud economy, the colonists used smallpox to kill off the native americans in order to take their lands, The Ceasars killed countless people over the conquest of land too... as long as there are things to control people will always kill eachother in an attempt to gain control..  Killing over ideals is just one small piece of the bigger puzzle...

I am positive that this conversation has become a battle over ideals rather than a debate about valid information concerning evolution and creationsim...  ::)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 12:43:52 PM by SidheDraoi »
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 12:52:13 PM »
To lighten things up a little, heres a few funny pictures I have found concerning this topic

;D

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »
one more because I'm a woman and I can...  ;D :P 

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »
I didn't know chinless people grow large chins when they get old. You learn something new everyday.
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2010, 07:23:29 PM »
I didn't know chinless people grow large chins when they get old. You learn something new everyday.

hahahaha

same goes for noses too!! I've noticed that.. why do men in their golden years have such big snozzes? This baffles me  :P

Offline Rob-The-Spartan

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »

hahahaha

same goes for noses too!! I've noticed that.. why do men in their golden years have such big snozzes? This baffles me  :P

Years of alcohol intake can make your nose grow larger. It can also make it permanently red or have weird growths on it... like tumors. Or if you're unfortunate enough; all of the above.

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2010, 08:19:43 PM »
Actually (despite what the above cartoon depicts), ears and noses keep growing throughout life, and chins actually diminish in old age.  Weird, huh?   :P
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »

hahahaha

Years of alcohol intake can make your nose grow larger. It can also make it permanently red or have weird growths on it... like tumors. Or if you're unfortunate enough; all of the above.

This explains alot!!  :o

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2010, 09:25:04 AM »
Actually (despite what the above cartoon depicts), ears and noses keep growing throughout life, and chins actually diminish in old age.  Weird, huh?   :P

that is strange... I will miss my chin  :'(

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »
I was tempted to ask what particular event or person offended someones sensibility when talking about things done wrongly in the name of religion.  It is necessary to quantify the specific offense in order to compare it to other wrongs.

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot are men guided by a different philosophical ideas in contrast to Christianity.   Yet, the number of people killed under their regimes dwarfs anything I am aware of in terms of lost life under so called religious killings.  Anybody disagree?

I disagree  ;D

Check out this timeline to get an idea of how many people have died in the name of religion.

http://www.google.com/search?q=religious+wars&hl=en&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&rlz=1I7ADFA_en&tbs=tl:1&tbo=u&ei=hz-xS9T8HIKoswP39tTmAQ&sa=X&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=11&ved=0CCoQ5wIwCg

I am also tempted to ask what particular event or person offended someones sensibility when talking about things done wrong in the name of science. Is it necessary to quantify the specific offense in order to compare it to other  wrongs?

You are the one who decided to use particular events in your argument. I just replied to your argument as I found it to be very one sided.  I was only offering up an example just as you had using the Atomic Bomb. You implied that the Atomic Bomb was an evil of amoral science. I explained how religion played its part in the righteous use of the bomb.
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline Stauf

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2011, 09:01:01 AM »
Cave girl, I think you're onto some thing. I believe that if there was a grand creator they checked out long ago.

Offline zenrn

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:09 PM »
Evo seems to be my educated guess. I do believe it is inspired by a higher power though. JMHO

Offline Cavedan

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2013, 03:17:49 AM »
I don't think we evolved from apes, we have evolved into the ape we still are; the Great Ape, the Hominidae, homo.