Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Poll

How much coffee do you drink?

I dont' drink coffee, I but drink tea or caffeien beverages like Coke or Pepsi.
13 (18.1%)
I dont' drink coffee, I but drink tea or caffeien beverages like Coke or Pepsi.
9 (12.5%)
1 - 3 cups a day.
33 (45.8%)
4 - 7 cups a day.
16 (22.2%)
8 - 12 cups a day.
0 (0%)
12+ cups a day.
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author Topic: Calling all caffeine addicts.  (Read 64087 times)

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all caffeine addicts.
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2010, 08:07:45 AM »
whaaat? what are they called? i would love something like that

here's a good site to purchase them from

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/numitea/home.d2w/report
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline Darthash

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »
SidheDraoi what is the best tea for sleeping? or could i combine a few tea's together to get a better effect?

thanks for advice :)

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
  • Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 06:24:15 PM »
Chamomile and/or valerian root are great sleep aids.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 09:11:47 AM »
SidheDraoi what is the best tea for sleeping? or could i combine a few tea's together to get a better effect?

thanks for advice :)
Chamomile and/or valerian root are great sleep aids.

I'm with Tony on this one. Valerian tastes horrid however... but it works! Pill capsules of Valerian might work better if you can't stomach the taste.  I am still trying to get used to it.

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

Offline ajcurly

• Cub
    • View Profile
    • Get Fit
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 10:55:34 AM »
I drink 5 cups every morning. I have been making it half strength and didn't even know it. The bag of Starbucks says to put 2 tbsp per 6 oz....I've been putting 1. I guess thats a good thing because I think the high strength stuff would make my heart fly outta my chest.

Offline COMA

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2010, 11:35:09 AM »
I just had a small carmel machiato from starbucks, I don't feel guilty though. it was awesome. I used to drink one or two large ones every day, along with 2 or 4 of those big ROCKSTAR energy drinks. then one of my friends got a kidney stone at age 21, and the doctor said that was probably the reason. So, I stopped drinking so much caffeine.
The man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war, and afterward he turns his rifle in at the armory and believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle and the power the rifle proffered. The cold weight, the buttstock in the shoulder, the sexy slope and fall of the trigger guard. - Anthony Swofford...

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2010, 11:43:39 AM »
I occassionally use valerian root capsules as a sleep aid.  They work well, but seem to give me strange dreams.
RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)

Offline Darthash

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »
I've tried the capsules, they make my night restless :S

not sure why though.

I just need something to help me drift, once i am there i sleep most of the night, well except pee breaks haha.

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2010, 06:27:51 PM »
I occassionally use valerian root capsules as a sleep aid.  They work well, but seem to give me strange dreams.

Guess they are the opposite for me... everytime I've used Valerian I've had no dreams at all... and I dream every night. Strange how these things affect everyone differently.

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »
Have you tried melatonin? I find it to work very well.
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline Darthash

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »
Yeah, I've tried it, but that does not work that well either, also i have been told not to use it too often if you do, cause then you brain gets a dependence on it and doesn't produce it's own :S

Offline Tony Bondioli

• Tribal Moderator
  • Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2010, 06:29:02 AM »
I used melatonin in the past, but after a few weeks, it actually had the opposite effect of making it more difficult to fall asleep.  The most reliable method of falling asleep, for me, is to ELIMINATE the viewing of screens (TV and computer) by 9 p.m., drink some herbal tea (no caffeine, obviously), and read a book.

Offline MrWinchell

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2010, 11:17:06 PM »
I have been on graveyard and swing shift for several years and Melatonin has worked very well for me. Of course working night hours is said to reduce Melatonin production so I think I was deficient to begin with.

Some interesting info -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin
"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson

Offline watersennin

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2010, 01:58:24 AM »
I know I used to have an addiction to caffeine but in the form of soda (fizzy drinks, pop, or whatever you call it where your from) I would easily drive up to 20 cans a day usually supplemented by a bottle at lunch. It was bad then i tried to just stop and i got bad migraines and would get really sweating it was weird. what i did stop my reliance was by a bottle of caffeinated and caffeine free and start with 90% caffeine and 10% caffeine free and work my way to completely caffeine free. After that i gave up soda all together and started drink a lot of water and wouldn't you know my acne cleared up almost over night. And thankfully i hate the taste of coffee (though it does smell good Ive even caught myself in a starbucks line before i realized i don't like coffee)
"In the past, severe training was the proper tradition, but nowadays people tend to avoid it as much as possible. Sometimes being ruthless or withstanding brutality is part of the art of self protection. Easy training will not make it possible to protect you from attack and danger. When your life is in danger and you are totally involved in survival you can easily endure severe injuries and hardships. Remember "Sutemi no Seishin" which is the spirit to fearlessly throw your life away." - some guy who i cant remember the name of

"Nothing says "Obey Me" like a bloody head on a fence post" - stewie griffin

Hericletus (circa 500 B.C.) said of men in battle;
"Of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there."
"Eighty are nothing but targets."
"Nine are real fighters, we are lucky to have them, they make the battle."
"Ah, but the One..." "One of them is a Warrior..."
"He will bring the others back."

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2010, 01:18:46 PM »
Yeah, I've tried it, but that does not work that well either, also i have been told not to use it too often if you do, cause then you brain gets a dependence on it and doesn't produce it's own :S

the last few night i have been drinking jasmine green tea... it has a very soothing aroma and taste. add a little local honey to it and it is a very relaxing beverage, i drink it luke warm and that seems to lure me off to dream land.

Offline Rossy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 03:18:39 AM »
I try not to drink coffee now - starting to taste bitter.

My tipple is Redbush Tea (zero caffeine content) with a drop of cow juice and a a little sweetner.

No alcohol for 5 weeks, buut got my 40th coming up in Feb in Edinburgh so I imagine a couple of tipples and am away!!!! ;D

Offline Fire Walker

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2011, 01:44:43 PM »
I drink Diet Pepsi about 3 a day, tomorrow when I start I'm going to give it up. I felt way better when I wasn't drinking it.

Offline mads

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 03:16:02 PM »
:-\  Crikey, am I the only one who drinks 4-7 cups of java a day?!

definitely not alone, Matt. I used to drink up to 12 espressos per day. Was told by my practitioner that if I kept smoking as much as I did, drinking coffee that much and working as many hours as I do I was bound for a heart attack in 10 years. I'm 23. So I cut out the smokes and the coffee.

Cutting out the coffee actually isn't that hard. I had a few withdrawals, but feeling better for it. I have a max of 2 a day now.  ;D

Offline Danimal

• Cub
  • One Life, Live It !
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
I don't drink coffee now, and haven't done for some time. All i pretty much drink these days is green tea and water " Evian, because i refuse to drink that crap that comes out of the tap " . I know this is a bit off topic, but i noticed people talking about sleeping aids, and such alike to aid in the transition into the land of dreams. I'm sure alot of the older genertation might recommend some lavender drops on your pillow or something lavender scented in your bedroom . Well i'm not sure about all of that, but for a while now i've been wearing one of these  http://www.trionz.co.uk/ and one of the first things i noticed is that my sleeping patterns went from ... finding it hard to get to sleep, restless when i got in bed and fidgeting alot to pretty much drifting off straight away and getting a good nights sleep. I'm not suggesting it would work for everyone, but its worth a look.

Dan.
"Everyone Dies, But Not Everyone Lives."

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."

" If it's not hard, it aint worth doing"

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful. "

Offline mbforehand

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2012, 02:33:44 PM »
Took me a week and I am completely caffeine free.  I used to drink 4 to 6 cups of coffee a day and swore I needed it to survive.  I now have to take that back.  I feel 10 times better now that I don't have any caffeine in my system and my energy level stays pretty flat from that first big cup of water as soon as I wake up till the time I put my head on the pillow.

Offline lizzycharlene

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
:-\  Crikey, am I the only one who drinks 4-7 cups of java a day?!

Just wondering if you still drink that much coffee Matt?  I am fairly new to the diet but I love my coffee!  That is one thing I have not given up.  I just love the taste of it.  Drink at least 2-3 cups a day!  Wondering what the long term effects, if any, there are to the Paleo lifestyle.  Thanks for your input :)

Offline Stauf

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 06:00:28 AM »
2 cups each day on the weekend, with a nice shot of Irish whiskey. Not an addiction just a little reward

Offline Brett

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2012, 10:43:18 AM »
I'm fortunate that i absolutely detest the smell and taste of coffee. The smell actually makes me feel nauseous. I do however, being british, enjoy a good ol' cuppa (tea). Green tea is nice too.  To all the people that suffer insomnia, i would advise not drinking caffeinated drinks late evening and also avoid using laptops/pc's/mobiles and even television late in the evening too, as this stimulates the brain too much, try reading a book.

Offline zenrn

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:33 PM »
I drink 1-2 small cups in the morning. Then drink as much white tea as I like, 2-6 cups a day. Melatonin works for sleep but use it rarely. A good book works best! :)

Offline MrChris

• Hunter
  • Stupid is as stupid does... -Forest Gump-
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2012, 12:38:46 PM »
I was a coffee-a-holic for several years, then gave it up cold turkey and have in the past couple years started drinking it again.  I have 1-2 cups a day, most days.  It might not be the most paleo drink, but it can definitely be a crutch.  As for the health benefits/concerns of coffee, remember that numbers, stats and even medical info can be skewed to be in favor of what the reporting body wants it to say.  Look up some figures, but check out another source or two, before making up your mind.  There's a lot of info out there and a lot more reasons for skewing survey results, as well as new info coming out almost daily about nutrition.
I believe anything is ok in moderation and at the same time, anything can be bad in excess.  For example, we obviously need water to survive, but drinking too much water can kill you.  Google "hold your wee for a wii", where a lady died by drinking too much water...  I believe moderation is a key element in a healthy/successful life.  :)