Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Author Topic: New Cavewoman!  (Read 48791 times)

Offline partyfairy

• Cub
    • View Profile
New Cavewoman!
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:30:29 AM »
Good morning everyone!

Well this is day one of the rest of my life! Just sat here drinking a nice cool glass of water :) ahead of heading off to the market to 'gather' a load of fruit :)

I weigh (gulp) 175lb and although I have tried lots of diets in the past and am quiet active because my diet isn't too poor, (I'm not a burger and pizza type of girl) they don't have too much of an effect, hence turning to something a little more 'back to nature' or 'unorthodox' depending on your point of view :)

I can't wait! Makes a lot of sense to me, and I am very excited!

Iain

Re: New Cavewoman!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:51:48 AM »
Hello and welcome,

I started this at the beginning of February, I've lost over a stone and I'm feeling so much better.

Good luck (although you won't need it) hope it goes well for you

:P

Offline partyfairy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 01:54:06 AM »
Thanks Iain!

A stone in a month!? Wow! That's amazing! I want to lose about 2 1/2 stone in total, so a stone a month would be amazing! :)

10 stone is what I am aiming for, although it seems a long way off :/

I have to say I was very impressed by the glass of water this morning, I am normally a huge grouch before I have my strong cup of coffee first thing, everyone I know knows this about me...yet this morning I thought I would replace the coffee with a pint of water and 'give it a go' and I am amazed, truely, I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it with my own eyes!

Quick question actually regarding drinks...can I drink herbal and chinese teas on this diet? I know I need to drink plenty of water, but have just discovered oolong tea which I love, as well as peppermint tea, which has got me down from 5 cups of coffee to 1, (Now none!!) Neithr of these are drunk with milk...

Thanks x

Iain

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:01:51 AM »
I would also like to loose another stone, I was up to 13.5 stone in January, so I think the big weight loss initially was due to cutting down the amount I was shovelling in!!! I'm not loosing as fast now but that's probably due to being closer to the weight I should be for my build and size.....It would help if I exercised too but I don't really, just walk occasionally  ::)

The Tea! I do the pint of water as soon as I get up but I still drink normal tea in the morning (I'm English, it's in the blood!). The herbal teas are all OK as far as I know, you might want to try one called Redbush, someone said it's nice with a splash of cranberry juice or blueberry?? Sorry can't remember, I also tried making one of my own with chopped fresh ginger ...this needs some work though and probably some added ingredients  :-\

Keep us posted  :P

Offline partyfairy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 05:54:13 AM »
hahaha yes tea is in the blood of us English isn't it? Can't beat a good cup of Yorkshire tea in my opinion :) Good and strong :)

I have tried Redbush, my manager at a job I worked a couple of years ago used to drink it and I just can't bare the smell...I didn't really much care for the smell of Oolong, (Smells a bit swampy, or of tobacco) but tastes lovely, but Redbush, I really don't like.

Another newbie question...with the 'small amounts of fruit and nuts' in stage one...what do you class as a small amount? So far today, (It's 2pm) I have had 3 plums and 3 strawberry's and a small hand full of monkey nuts, and the same of cashews (Unsalted) I don't really feel hungry, and wondered if I was eating too much? I have also had 2 pints of water and 2 big cups of oolong...

Thanks x

Iain

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 06:25:12 AM »
Absolutely!!!

It is really up to you, You shouldn't feel like you need to eat everything, I just try and eat when I'm hungry although if I do start to feel hungry I drink water first to see if it goes, if not I'll just graze. In phase one I was having a small packet of Brazil's and a small packet of cashews/Almonds, these were the small bags you can get from the super market and a pot of Blueberries/blackberries/strawberries or raspberries, that worked for me. I think what helped for me on phase one I didn't really do the junk food at night but it's what ever suit's really.

:o Monkey nuts are a no no they're not nuts they're peas so no more monkey nuts, very naughty!!  >:(

Hope this helps  ;)

Offline Prefect ten

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:58:28 AM »
Hehehe Iain your so funny 'no monkey nuts thats naughty'. Really made me giggle,just thought id share.

;D

Offline partyfairy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 08:07:23 AM »
Really monkey nuts are bad???

OMG I had no idea!! So much to learn! Ah well the kids like them...just as well really bought a massive bag of the things...

Is there a 'safe' list somewhere? For noobies like me who assume because it's called a nut it must be a nut?

Thanks again Iain...

Offline JohnnyC

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 08:11:59 AM »
hey welcome to the "tribe" good luck on acheiving your goals :) just takes willpower !

as far as the nuts go i have read that the best to go for are brasil, walnuts, almonds and hazlenuts but be careful not to overindulge in the nuts as they do contain alot of fat also always go for unsalted nuts :)

Offline Prefect ten

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 08:14:27 AM »
paryfairy, i generally eat brazil,hazelnuts and some walnuts. About a handful of brazil and same for hazelnuts but less of walnuts.
I also eat blueberries,grapes and apples throughout the day. I really feel this helps my sugar levels massively which keeps me going until dinner!

Offline Danimal

• Cub
  • One Life, Live It !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 10:23:13 AM »
Welcome to the tribe Paryfairy  :)

I mostly have 1-2 handfuls of nuts and mixed berries and seeds during the day and 2 -3 pieces of fruit. i cut out walnuts after reading something about them, so now i just have almonds, hazlenuts, and brazils. pumkin seeds and sunflower, with goji berries mixed in. i think somebody did post a guide to nuts and their nutritional properties somewhere on the forum, if i find it, i'll link it for you.

Best of luck with the new you :)

Dan.
"Everyone Dies, But Not Everyone Lives."

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."

" If it's not hard, it aint worth doing"

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful. "

Offline Danimal

• Cub
  • One Life, Live It !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 10:40:07 AM »
I've not read that Paleo sites say nuts are bad for you. Peanuts are not nuts, they're legumes which are different...

http://www.modernpaleo.com/principles.html
15. Eat nuts, if you like, but beware the omega-6 load in some nuts. Grouped and ranked from least to most omega-6 content, we find: (good) macadamias; (okay) cashews, hazelnuts, almonds, and pistachios; (worse) pecans, brazil nuts, and pinenuts; and (terrible) walnuts. Nuts may require soaking and drying to eliminate toxins. Remember that peanuts are legumes, not nuts. Avoid rancid nuts. You might need to limit nuts if you're trying to lose weight.

There we go, check that link out  ;)

Dan.
"Everyone Dies, But Not Everyone Lives."

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished."

" If it's not hard, it aint worth doing"

"The world is mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful. "

Offline MommyOf2

• Scout
  • I won't put off til tomorrow what I can do today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:56:47 AM »
Well hello there and welcome!

Stay away from peanuts for sure!  I eat 2 fruit a day and 3 small handfuls (maybe 6-8 almonds) a day. Lots of water and green tea!  Occasional black coffee if I'm studying or in class and I feel sleepy! 

It will be a week tomorrow that I've been on Stage 1 And I've lost 5 pounds.  Not sure what that is in Stone!   I have to say that today is the first day so far that I have not been very hungry !  So far today I haven't eated anything and it feels great.  It's mid day here and I've been up for 6 hours.

You will love this new way of life.  The first week is a challenge but oh boy what a treat when you get on the scale every morning! I did not do the junk food thing, either.  I started eating Paleo for my one meal right from the start!

Good luck and congrats on choosing to join the Caveman Power journey!

Mommyof2 :):)

Iain

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
14lb to a Stone  ;)

Offline partyfairy

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 11:30:14 AM »
Well I truly am on a steep old learning curve today! Thanks everyone! :)

Thank you for the support and the really warm welcome!

I wont be going down the junk food route, no point introducing something just to take it away again...

Today I have eaten:
3 plums
3 strawberry's
a small hand full of monkey nuts, (oops)
and the same of cashews (Unsalted)

Dinner I had home made sausage casserole with peppers, mushrooms, onions and tomato's and lean sausages (Although I guess these will be off the menu in later stages) with a small amount of mash potatoes (These I am going to miss!!) and some cauliflower and cabbage!

Absolutely a feast, and really enjoyed it :)

Have drunk plenty of water and green/oolong teas I thought this would be harder, if it stays this easy I will be really happy...I am guessing it wont?! :)

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:33:54 AM by paryfairy »

Iain

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
Party,

I really thought I was going to miss the spuds, but I've been slicing parsnips and baking with some olive oil, they're really nice and as a mash potato replacement I've been mashing swede and carrot which is also Delicious

Tomorrow I'm planning a *shepherds* pie but instead of the mash I'm going to try mashed swede and carrot on top

Cottage Pie, I have minced beef not minced Lamb :-\

8)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 04:23:45 AM by Iain »

Offline Lilnicki

• Tribal Moderator
  • Tribal Leader
  • Here to help :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 12:21:45 PM »
I'm sure i read somewhere on here that cashews are a "no-no".......i'll see if i can find it. Something to do with the fact they need heavy processing before you can eat them. I think almonds and hazelnuts are OK though......also you can eat seeds ( i like sunflower)..... you can also sprinkle sesame seeds on salads.

Good luck with your new way of life :)

Nicki

Offline MommyOf2

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 03:46:58 PM »
What is a swede??
You can also boil and mash cauliflower, kinda like mashed potatoes, too, add garlic for favor!   Or finely grate it in a food processor and then microwave in place of rice.  I just got the cauliflower today so I' going to try it as rice and top it with ground beef!

Iain

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 12:18:27 AM »
I think you may call it rutabaga in N.America??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutabaga

Offline MommyOf2

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 04:25:28 AM »
Aah yes, I looked it up.  I wouldn't even know where to begin to making that.  Do you just treat as you would a potato?

Iain

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 04:33:44 AM »
Exactly like a spud, just peel it, chop it boil it.....boil it with chopped carrots and mash them together  :D

Offline Ronnie88

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 05:17:56 AM »
Hi everyone,
Im also a new cave woman. I weigh about 192lbs and am 5.5 in height, would love to lose about 2stone.
Im really looking forward to the challenge.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Iain

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 05:23:43 AM »
Hello Ronnie,

Have you had a read through the phases and the threads on here yet??
That's your best bet, plenty of knowledgeable Cavepeople posting experiences and advice, but If you do have questions just post them up, they usually get answered pretty quick  :)

Offline Ronnie88

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 05:29:36 AM »
Yea iv read tru it all, seems pretty straight forward.

Iain

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 05:32:01 AM »
It is really really easy to follow, and the things you think you will miss, you won't due to how better you feel.

8)