Greetings astute traveller, this website now exists for historical reasons.

Much has been learned since 2006. I urge you to keep exploring the evolution of information through other websites.

Poll

Which is your first instinct?

Fight
Flight
Domesticated (freeze up)

Author Topic: Fight or Flight?  (Read 12835 times)

Offline Alex Good

• Hunter
    • View Profile
Fight or Flight?
« on: March 08, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
 Hey, a quick story, first. I was walking my dog today when we happened across a rabid looking black lab. It ran towards us, barking, and what did I do? I instinctively reached for my knife. Luckily the dog was just feeling playful (not aggressive), so I didn't need to kill it, but the experience taught me something.
 My instinctive response is to fight. I didn't even consider running, my arm just went for the knife.   
 So anyway, the question is, what do your instincts naturally tell you to do? Leave a comment explaining what happened that made you realise this.

Offline SidheDraoi

• Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fight or Flight?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 09:52:46 PM »
I'm not a fighter, but I don't run either. usually stand my ground like a deer in the headlights, but thats me not pregnant. me pregnant is a different story, I have a crazy strong maternal instinct and will protect my child ferociously, just so happens that right now my child is inside me so I am more of a fight response now.
"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare

Offline Alex Good

• Hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:57:19 PM »
 Nobody else has an interesting story? I know we'd all just like to say fight and be done with it, but you need to at least tell us why you think you would do it.

Offline JessiRhea

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
This is a hard one to answer, because different situations call for different responses. If I have the chance to flee, I will. As a woman who has experienced her own weakness in the face of opposition, I feel that it's smarter for me to avoid conflict if I can. But if I'm cornered, I'm more than ready to fight tooth and nail. I have a similar story to yours: I was outside with my dog, an un-neutered male pit bull, when another un-neutered male bulldog came up. This dog had been coming around bothering us for weeks, and I always was able to chase him off before. But this time he'd sneaked around and appeared out from nowhere and immediately came for my dog. A fight broke out that would make a lot of people either run for cover or stand there and watch the horror unfold. But something took over in me, and I grabbed a big stick and started yelling and beating at both dogs, trying to wedge the stick between them to pry them apart. Thankfully, my dog got the invader by the ear and pinned him, and things were quiet enough for a moment for me to tell him to let go and go inside. (Pit bulls are actually excellent in these situations... they were originally bred to be responsive to humans when in the heat of battle, as was necessary for fighting dogs.) He obeyed, and I tried to chase the other dog off. He was shamed from his defeat, but still growled at me as I yelled at him. He was big. I was scared. But I knew that if I backed down now I would be toast. So I ran at him, cussing and waving the stick, and he ran off, never to return again.

So.... long story short, I would say that flight is preferable when applicable, but the ability to fight when situation dictates is necessary. I know my story didn't involve me actually fighting, but I do practice with my husband almost every day. He's into Judo and Kung fu and Krav Maga and all kinds of stuff, so he trains me rather effectively. It helps me feel more confident in my ability to defend myself, but it also shows me how weak I really am against men who may do me harm. So yeah. Run first. Fight if you have to. Never freeze up.

Offline Rodman

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 10:53:40 AM »
It really depends on what is least likely to result your injury.  Of course if you have a child or other loved one with you, things will be different.  I would also protect any other person instead of myself, but that's just me.  That being said, you have to know what how to react and how to protect yourself (others).  Having some practical training, or at least having thought through various "what if" scenarios, will help you control your fear. 

If you see a dog barking and running at you, and all you have to do is get back in the car (door is open not locked) then that would be best (no chance of you being hurt).  But if you're walking along with no where to go, stand your ground and defend yourself.  If you don't know how to defend yourself (no fighting skills, no pepper spray, no knife, no gun), then you'll just have to do the best you can. 

I once saw what I thought was a funny comment, but it was also somewhat true:  "Don't run, you'll just die tired"

Offline globetrekker

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »
My bet friend is 6'4" and build like a gazelle, I'm 6'1" and build like a tank. We have joked in the past that whatever the immediate danger would be, I would be the one left to deal with the situation, and he would be back in time with help to make sure I was alive :p
“And when you crush an apple with your teeth, say to it in your heart:

Your seeds shall live in my body,
And the buds of your tomorrow shall blossom in my heart,
And your fragrance shall be my breath,
And together we shall rejoice through all the seasons.”
― Kahlil Gibran

Offline zenrn

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »
I was taught that the best weapon in a fight is my feet... Point them in the opposite direction of the threat and run to safety. I consider this fighting because it is a conscious choice. When suddenly startled my reflex is to stike out against threat. When protecting my home I am a proponent of lead and gunpowder. No to moments in time are identical, so my responses are unique also.
     Very interesting thread!

Offline Collin045

• Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2015, 12:42:39 AM »
So.... long story short, I would say that flight is preferable when applicable, but the ability to fight when situation dictates is necessary. I know my story didn't involve me actually fighting, but I do practice with my husband almost every day. He's into Judo and Kung fu and Krav Maga and all kinds of stuff, so he trains me rather effectively. It helps me feel more confident in my ability to defend myself, but it also shows me how weak I really am against men who may do me harm. So yeah. Run first. Fight if you have to. Never freeze up.