Newsletter Search Contact Rss Feed
September 29, 2013, 02:34:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: How much coffee do you drink?
I dont' drink coffee, I but drink tea or caffeien beverages like Coke or Pepsi. - 13 (18.3%)
I dont' drink coffee, I but drink tea or caffeien beverages like Coke or Pepsi. - 9 (12.7%)
1 - 3 cups a day. - 33 (46.5%)
4 - 7 cups a day. - 15 (21.1%)
8 - 12 cups a day. - 0 (0%)
12+ cups a day. - 1 (1.4%)
Total Voters: 60

Reply to this Message! Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Calling all caffeine addicts.  (Read 16484 times)
Matt Emery
Administrator
Tribal Leader

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2008, 06:54:32 PM »

Coffee is a not technically a Paleo beverage, since it is believed to have first been consumed around the 9th century.  So if you're doing a very strict Paleo diet, give it a miss.

I drink anywhere between 4 - 7 cups a day of instant coffee.  Espresso gets my heart rate up too high, and it makes me feel anxious.

About 2 years ago I gave up coffee, and I drank Green Tea for 8 months.  I lost a lot of weight and felt incredibly balanced - no highs and lows, in comparison to coffee which can pick me and slam me down quite easily.

I'm back on the coffee again, but try I drink two glasses of water for every coffee I consume.

Anyone like to share their story?

"Be true to your biology"
Seeker
Scout

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 12:27:34 AM »

One usually and occasionally two a day for me. I absolutely love coffee and its various blends (cappuccino, etc) but I know it's best to keep it minimal so I force myself to only have 1 at breakfast each day.

Trivia - More then 3 cups per day can increase your chance of heart attack by over 120%.
Renee
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 01:27:51 AM »

Thanks for the trivia seeker. I`ll pass it on to my mum who currently and for as long as i can remember has drank atleast 10 cups a day.
And she has Angina (heart condition), 2 smokes for every cup and 1 inbetween. Her future looks bleak indeed.... Sad
Jen
Cub

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 04:33:04 AM »

I've pretty much been able to stay off coffee since I've being eating paleo.  I don't smoke but it does say to me 'I go well with biscuits or cake'.  Last week though I went out for a meal (going off the diet for the night) it was finished off by filter coffee and a cheeseboard.  I don't know if it was the coffee or cheese but that night I was still awake an hour before I was due to wake up.
Matt Emery
Administrator
Tribal Leader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 08:05:49 PM »

Undecided  Crikey, am I the only one who drinks 4-7 cups of java a day?!

England Tiger
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 01:56:20 PM »

Used to drink about same (4 - 7) per day ... but gave up 22nd Feb this year. I knew it wasn't a good addiction to have, and that's what it is, an addiction. Attended a Tony Robbins weekend starting 22nd which, helped me break this addiction (among many other things - an awesome weekend).
Now drinking loads of water, Green Tea and occasional Roobush and black tea.
I still love a proper, quality coffee, so rather than deprive myself of one of life's pleasures, I now only drink the very occasional quality coffee but have cut out all the crap I used to drink at work etc.
It's a poison, a toxin, wrecks your adrenal glands, etc etc. 
I can't see how it's compatible with a Caveman diet, but we're all entitled to make our own choices.
Matt Emery
Administrator
Tribal Leader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 06:17:59 PM »

I can't see how it's compatible with a Caveman diet, but we're all entitled to make our own choices.

To be clear, it is NOT compatible with the Caveman Diet.  I don't condone it, but I do drink it because I am addicted to it  Wink

England Tiger
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 11:21:40 PM »

After the poll's run a while, how about a coffee challenge?  No, not a challenge for how much we can drink, but a challenge to break addictions?  Smiley   I've got a couple of weeks head start so am bound to win   Wink
Tony Bondioli
Tribal Moderator
Warrior

Be strong in spirit & equal to our Fathers of old.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 08:00:23 AM »

I still love a proper, quality coffee, so rather than deprive myself of one of life's pleasures, I now only drink the very occasional quality coffee but have cut out all the crap I used to drink at work etc.

I think this way of thinking is key to living a healthy, balanced, and enjoyable life.  As "Socrates" stated in Peaceful Warrior, it's not the act [that is harmful], but the habit.  I love a good cup or two of coffee every once in a while, freshly ground using the old hand grinder that used to belong to my grandmother.  I love a good bottle or two of unfiltered, microbrewed beer every once in a while.  I love a good cigar every once in a while.  Enjoying these gifts of the earth in moderation hasn't harmed my health in the slightest; they have only added to the richness of my life experience.  Of course, if I drank a pot of coffee every morning, smoked a pack of cigarettes throughout the day, and downed a six-pack of skunk piss beer every night, it would be a completely different story.  For that matter, even consuming too much water or oxygen can kill you!

Moderation in all things, friends.

RN, B.Sc. Health Promotion and Wellness. Public Health Nurse serving a Great Lakes Native American tribe. Husband and father. Lousy at cards, but with a fair singing voice. Good to have around when the excrement hits the rotating cooling apparatus.

"I worshipped dead men for their strength, forgetting I was strong."  (Vita Sackville-West)

“I'm not a prophet or a stone aged man, just a mortal with the potential of a superman. I'm living on.”  (David Bowie)

"Man fears the beast within the wolf, because he does not understand the beast within himself."  (Turtle Island Alphabet)

"Seek not only to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek the things they sought."  (Basho)

"[Primal man] is of the soil... he fits into the landscape, for the hand that fashioned the continent also fashioned the man for his surroundings."  (paraphrasing Luther Standing Bear)
Matt Emery
Administrator
Tribal Leader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 05:18:54 PM »

After the poll's run a while, how about a coffee challenge?  No, not a challenge for how much we can drink, but a challenge to break addictions?  Smiley   I've got a couple of weeks head start so am bound to win   Wink

Count me in.

Kels
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »

Matt,

You are SO not alone. I drink a good 4-6 cups a day - some black, some with cream. No sugar, ever. I guess you could say I'm addicted, but I just like the taste, too. Coffee and water are about all I drink, along with the odd, small glass of red wine.

Good to know there is another java fiend out there. Safety in numbers, bro.  Wink

Kels
Matt Emery
Administrator
Tribal Leader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 08:24:57 PM »

I knew it!  ...I just knew there had to be a Caffeine Addicts Anonymous out there somewhere.  Cheesy

http://www.caffeineawareness.org/forum/index.php
"CaffeineAwareness.org supports a community of over 100,000 recovering caffeine addicts."

ryan1972
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 04:51:57 AM »

I didn't coffee for most of my adult life.  When I met my wife, she was a iced coffee fiend.  I started drinking black iced coffee because I saw how much she enjoyed her coffee ritual.  From there I started drinking hot coffee.  I LOVE it now - the taste, the ritual, the social aspects of drinking coffee.

There seems to be as much contradictory info about coffee as there is about everything else.  Overall, I guess  I feel like I should limit coffee consumption, so I try to only have 2 or 3 cups a day.  I start every day with at least one cup.  I don't really get the rush that I used to get, but it does help wake me up and keep my appetite at bay.

I must admit though - if I didn't feel inhibited by the possible negative health consequences, I would drink much more coffee than I do!
Phanatic
Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »

I don't like pissing out my minerals, but I love my caffeine. Makes a great study drug, and a boring day fun.
Elysium
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »

I voted on 1-3 cups a day, but I actually only do 1-3 cups a week - usually on Sunday.
The best way to cut down I found was to find an alternative hot drink that you like.
Peppermint tea worked for me.

Regards,
Craig.

Regards,
Craig Miles
Darthash
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 03:59:43 PM »

I don't drink coffee, though in my pre-workout drink on monday/wednesday/friday mornings has a load of caffiene in it, but i never crave it, nor do i get headaches if i don't drink it. everything else i drink doesn't have any in it. i do drink green tea's but they are caffiene free, it says it on the label haha.
SidheDraoi
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 04:55:44 PM »

honestly I don't drink anything caffinated except maybe tea... My fiance on the other hand drinks 4-5 cans of mountian dew a day...  Roll Eyes  when will they ever learn?

"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare
Doug
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 06:57:34 AM »

It seems coffee does  have  some health benefits. Check out this link from Web MD:

http://men.webmd.com/features/coffee-new-health-food
MrWinchell
Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 05:02:13 PM »

Interesting link.

"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson
Rob-The-Spartan
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »

I hate coffee and drink a pop maybe once every 5 or 6 months. If it's not around, i don't miss it. occassionally i'll be offered one at a friend's house and i'll accept. That's about it. I drink a bit of green tea and maybe 5 cups of regular tea in a year.

I have tried something recently. It's a little bit messy but i feel i have found an even more paleolithic way to drink green tea. Okay, water and tea leaves ARE natural and when mixed together, create a somewhat natural drink. They get digested together so it's the same as if you ate the leaves and then had a glass of water. BUT is the tea bag itself paleolithic? No, it's made of some kind of fabric or something... probably with chemicals. So, i now cut the tea bag open, dump out the contents into a mug, and pour steaming hot water over itl mix it up and let the flavour soak and there you go! A nice natural cup of tea. The only problem is the green bits left in the cup after. i actually scooped them out with a spoon and put it on toast and ate it. It's not as bad as it sounds. Even though, toast isn't a paleolothic food but i am slowly working on that part. Point is: tea bags aren't natural.

I met a woman selling these "vegetable capsules". It's a little pill with dried out vegetables in it in the form of a powder. She ranted and raved about how they are good for you because it's not a supplement but real vegetables inside I said "wow that's really clever... what's the capsule made of?" She had no idea haha. Not everything that claims to be natural and healthy IS. In fact, from my experience, most times when something has to say "this is healthy" in big letters accross the front of it, it pobably is just something unhealthy with a vitamin added or fibre or something.  Check out all these cereals that claim to be good for your kids... captain crunch, lucky charms, trix... just dumb.
MrWinchell
Hunter

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »

You can find green tea that is not in a bag. Instaed of a bag they are tea leafs that have been compressed into a ball. They swell and unfold when intorduced to hot water. I picked some up at a local Asian food store a few months ago. It is very good tea.

"Those who give up freedom for security, deserve neither"--Ben Franklin

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius

He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man. -- Samuel Johnson
Rob-The-Spartan
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »

You can find green tea that is not in a bag. Instaed of a bag they are tea leafs that have been compressed into a ball. They swell and unfold when intorduced to hot water. I picked some up at a local Asian food store a few months ago. It is very good tea.

Awesome, i'll have to pick some up. There's an Asian place right by my house. Thaks for that
COMA
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »

I've got some at home that turns into a flower while steeping. it comes in a variety of flavors and it has no bag to worry about.

The man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war, and afterward he turns his rifle in at the armory and believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle and the power the rifle proffered. The cold weight, the buttstock in the shoulder, the sexy slope and fall of the trigger guard. - Anthony Swofford...
SidheDraoi
Warrior

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2010, 04:51:21 PM »

I've got some at home that turns into a flower while steeping. it comes in a variety of flavors and it has no bag to worry about.

I also have these, they have a wonderful fragrance too!

"In War, Victory. in Peace, Vigilance. in Death, Sacrifice"

"When you take civilization away from man you don't have man without civilization, you have an entirely different animal" -Simon Clark's "Blood Crazy"

"Time is the king of men, he's both their parent, and he is their
     grave, and he gives them what he will, not what they crave."
     Pericles, Act II. sc.3. William Shakespeare

"We know what we are, but know not what we may be."  Hamlet,
     Act IV. Sc. 5. William Shakespeare
Rob-The-Spartan
Cub

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2010, 10:42:34 PM »

whaaat? what are they called? i would love something like that
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

"As fit as a modern day athlete"
If you suspect that statement to be true, then you'll probably want to know why it could be true. Well, this is what I have devoted my life to finding out, and I want to share with you everything i've learnt, as well as learn from you!
Shut me up?